Saturday, October 3, 2009

Glee - The Rhodes Not Taken, S01E05

I like Glee. It makes me laugh; it has good music; it's always entertaining. But, man the plots are terrible. Disconnected and all over the place, you can never be sure what's going to happen next because the choices are made completely for convenience.
It seems like the writers just feel like having this happen this week - we'll bring an adult singer into Glee for an episode; we'll make a boy band; we'll do 30 quick plot points that could work for a season in only one episode. There's no logical pattern. The only thing we do know is that glee club needs 12 members for regionals, and if we don't win regionals, glee club gets cancelled.

What would have made me laugh is if Glee had gotten cancelled, then glee club would have lost regionals and that's how the story would have ended. A little cruel of me to find that amusing perhaps, but Glee isn't cancelled (YAY!) and so we know they can't lose...or can they? Who knows what these wacky writers will do.

But as long as you ignore the plot as any true storyline, and just enjoy events as they come, Glee is great.

For instance, I love Rachel. I don't care that most people probably agree with Puck's statement "That Rachel chick makes me want to light myself on fire, but she can sing." I like her. I can relate to her, to all that effort to be somebody and to be important and the fact that most of the time it means you come off as annoying more than anything else. I'm just like that. And I want to see her succeed. And I want to see her with Finn.
Rachel and Finn work so well together, and that's one storyline I can follow. The poor idiot's inability to figure out life. I mean, he's only in high school. He doesn't know what he wants or why, so he's sort of caught between Quinn and his commitment there, and his attraction to Rachel. And naturally it's not going to go well for him, but it's fun to watch. I hope they have another scene together next week.

What do you hope? Or do the crazy plot inconsistencies make you change the channel?

No comments:

Post a Comment