Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mercy, no.

I just watched the pilot of Mercy, the new medical drama that centres around nurses. It was alright, the sort of show I'd put on the back burner, have around to watch sometime when I'm bored and there is nothing else around; it has not, however, earned a place on my weekly schedule.

Veronica, or Ronnie (which is such an awful name), was in Iraq. She still has flashbacks and fears, which is understandable and even expected. Her husband cheated on her when she was away, and so they were getting divorced, and what he doesn't know is that she not only cheated on him while she was away, she fell in love, too. So there are problems there, and they are made more interesting by the couple's decision to reconcile, soon followed by her lover showing up at the hospital to find her. Yup, a love triangle already. I've got to say, I like her Doctor better than her idiot husband.
Chloe and Sonya, the other nurses central to the plot, are not nearly so interesting. Sonya has issues with men - finding a good one who has money, a job, and doesn't expect her to sleep with him if she ordered appetizers at dinner. Chloe is new on the job, and looks like she's twelve. Though she doesn't have the sex drive of a 12 year old...which is a good thing for this kind of show.

While there were patients, after all the show does take place in a hospital, it's pretty apparent that this is really a show about three women who happen to work in a hospital rather than a hospital show of which the doctors and nurses are people you like.
The worst part about the show is its inconsistent nature. Some moments were quite serious, almost moving, while others were just plain goofy. The balance is off, and I can't tell whether I'm supposed to want to watch because of the drama, the silliness or the sex. Well, since I can't figure it out, I guess I won't bother.
If you are a Grey's fan...you may like this show too. But for me, like Grey's Anatomy, Mercy is not on the priority list.
Am I wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment