Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mad Men - Seven Twenty Three, S03E07

I did not like this week's episode of Mad Men. Not because I though it was badly filmed, acted, conceived, or anything of that kind. It was up to the standard that I have come to expect from this brilliant show.
But I still didn't like it.
Most episodes of Mad Men don't make me particularly happy. Last week, for instance, I did not get joy by watching Guy get run over by a lawnmower...though I may have laughed a little at comments that followed. Mad Men is not about life working out exactly the way we hoped and wanted. It does a much better impression of real life (particularly for those of us who weren't alive during the 60s and only have movies and historical pop culture to go on).
Still, this episode felt particularly depressing. Don just had a bad couple of days and took it out on everyone around him. He was mean to Peggy, as well as Pete and Betty. Thank God for Bert Cooper. If he hadn't swooped in and reminded Don that he knew of his true identity without really making him feel like it was being held against him...Roger could not have made a more stupid choice than getting Betty involved.
At least I still feel like Sally's teacher is throwing herself at Don and not the other way around. Though Betty has gotten bitter since their separation. Apparently sleeping with one guy (even if it was Chuck's Captain Awesome) was not enough for her to feel even....though at least that act isn't haunting her too, on top of everything.
But, if Don's life wasn't depressing enough, Peggy slept with Duck. Is that supposed to make me happy? So what if he seems to please her and she didn't bite Don's head off the next time she saw him, he's still Duck! And I like Peggy. I relate to her. There is no universe in which I would sleep with Duck.
I just hope next episode has a little more happy in it. It probably won't, but I can hope, can't I?
What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment