Friday, June 25, 2010

Season's Review - Glee, Season 1

Glee was a far greater success, I think, than the producers, writers, directors, and actors originally anticipated. This meant that, while the concept was thought through, no plot really was. So you have a terrific idea - essentially high school dramedy which is a musical - and it doesn't really get backed up by solid story-telling.

I really enjoy Glee. I turn it on, I enjoy the music, I laugh, I get angry at the bad things that happen, and I wish that I knew more about how Sue C's it. But I try not to think. Because when I think too hard about it, I realize that there are so many little holes, so many contradictions, so many things that happened which nobody thought through completely. And it makes me sad that such a great idea, which has met with such terrific acclaim, doesn't do the one thing I really believe television is for - it doesn't tell a long and lasting story which develops perfectly because television has more time than almost any other story telling medium.

Glee relies on its music and on its fantastic cast of characters. The characters are all interesting and diverse. They have issues which are believable and which we can relate to, and they overcome them in ways which are inspirational to young people. Certainly, sometimes, I worry that the beauty of Sue (Jane Lynch)'s sarcastic view on life might be above some viewers' heads, that her racist and discriminatory comments may offend or encourage negative behaviours. It's funny that there are such smart and witty comments on a show that in general doesn't really reach.

What I want is for the writers to sit down before they start filming the next two seasons (both of which have already been renewed), and actually plan what they want to have happen to each and every character and how that is going to work as a plot. If they succeed at that, Glee will not only be a fad of the turn of the decade, but might become a classic.

So, to sum up, I love the characters, I love the actors, and I love the concept. I just want those to be united in a plot so that I can love that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment