Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rookie Blue - Fresh Paint, S01E01

Rookie Blue is like Grey's Anatomy, only with cops instead of doctors. 5 rookies join the force and have to learn the ropes quickly when their first day gets exciting, but their personal lives also promise to be interesting as relationships and connections between the new guys and the detectives are already forming. So, a lot like Grey's Anatomy, but guess what, it's Canadian.

Who knew? I certainly hadn't picked up this piece of information because I'd seen more info about it on American sites than Canadian ones. But it was filmed in Toronto, backed by Global, and when you consider that, man is the quality amazing. Granted, I've seen an episode or two of Flashpoint, and that show is also high quality. Really, we as Canadians need to start giving more credit to our television networks because they can give us some good stuff.

Now, I won't exaggerate. It was pretty obvious to me that Andy McNally (Missy Peregrym) was arresting an undercover cop, Sam Swarek (Ben Bass) , but I was impressed by the choice to have her be persistent and crack the murder she was investigating when she arrested him based on the information he gave her. Also impressed that he gave her good information considering how pissed he was about the screw up.

The one problem was that I'm not really sure why I should watch again next week. I mean, I saw the trailer for next week's episode, and I know that Andy and Sam are going to end up working together and that that is going to be a lot of fun. I suspect there will be some romantic tension there, though Andy is clearly attracted to Luke Callaghan (Eric Johnson), another detective. And I really want to see how that plays out. But this episode ended with a rather conclusive victory over the rookies' first day, and in itself didn't promise me anything for the future.

Still I will watch again, and I suggest you do to because, whatever else it ends up being, as the moment with the transgendered suspect needing to be searched, it's going to be fun.

Your first impressions?

No comments:

Post a Comment