Monday, May 17, 2010

The Good Wife - Unplugged, S01E21

The Good Wife combines the 2 most important things for a successful television program, brilliant writing and a phenomenal cast. I spend every minute loving every character and every choice, even if I find myself upset or angry at the same time.

After months of watching, the decision Diane (Christine Baranski) and Will (Josh Charles) had to make between Cary (Matt Czuchry) and Alicia (Julianna Marguelies) finally had to be made. It was delayed and delayed, and I was never certain who they would pick. Yes, Alicia is the lead, and choosing to not have her as part of the team would have made it difficult to have plot lines integrating her personal story with the goings-on at the law firm, but it could have been done. Cary certainly earned our regret over his having been passed over.

Still, I likely would have chosen Alicia myself. That's just the kind of person I am. I respect Cary for always putting himself first, for being there to win, but he doesn't have loyalty. Alicia wants to win, and has loyalty which I will never doubt. Cary made choices specifically to try to win the competition; Alicia made the same choices she will make now that she has secured the job. And the thing that made the difference was her making the effort to do what was asked of her so she could keep that job. She made a deal with Eli Gold (Alan Cummings) and proved she was ready to take those steps for her job and for her company. Loyalty wins out.

The only question is, Does this mean no more Cary?

No comments:

Post a Comment