Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Glee - Laryngitis, S01E18

What makes you who you are, and what would you be without it?

Is Rachel (Lea Michelle) worth anything without her voice? Can Puck (Mark Salling) still be cool without his hair? Is Mercedes (Amber Riley) just as fashionable when she only wears Cheerio uniforms? Does Kurt (Chris Colfer) still moisturize when he's not gay?

Glee continues to be hilarious, give us great music, and demonstrate how multi-talented its cast is.
As the characters suffered identity crises, we were gifted with entertainment.

Chris Colfer's Kurt completely transformed when he decided to give Mellencamp a chance. His body, his manners, even his face changed. The femininity and grace which are so much a part of Kurt were absent, and his voice, normally so light and airy, took an a deep, manly quality. I was amazed. I died laughing. I suppose this is what all 16 year old boys who think that they are gay because they like show tunes should do.
Also, I am happy for Brittany (Heather Morris) that she finally got to make out with every boy in the school.

Mercedes and Puck's short lived romance gave different opportunities to shine. They shared a lovely duet, and while I've seen both perform more memorable numbers, I was touched that That's Why the Lady's a Tramp was sung the same week in which Lena Horne passed away.
I did prefer Mercedes and Santana (Naya Rivera)'s showdown over Puck.

Finally, Rachel and Finn (Cory Monteith). I love that Lea Michele is capable of singing as badly as I do when I am trying (well, maybe it was a littler better). It's not easy to fake being bad at something, and she was not good. I also adored Finn getting to sing Jesse's Girl. I love that song; Rick Springfield is awesome. Although I love Jesse St. Clair, I am sure that all of you out there who think he's a skeeze-ball will allow that this song justified his presence.
I'm not going to comment on how weird it was to have Will (Matthew Morrison) congratulating Finn on singing it when it was clearly about how much Finn wanted Rachel. Then again, he only stopped Mercedes and Santana's singing duel when they started shoving each other.

Please continue to serenade me into giggles!

No comments:

Post a Comment