Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympics make for the best reality television

I love watching the Olympics. Maybe it's because, growing up, my family was really into it. Maybe it's because, between the commentary and the years of watching, I understand the rules of the competitions, and can recognize for myself who should win. Or maybe because they only take place every 2 years, so I can be obsessed those two weeks and otherwise not have it affect my life (like following any other sporting event would).

As a Canadian, I was thrilled beyond the understanding of any non-Canadian when we won our first gold medal on Canadian soil the second day of competition. The pride I felt the next day of singing O Canada as our flag went up, knowing that so many Canadians across this country and overseas were joining me. Alexandre Bilodeau, you are amazing, and when this does become a trivial pursuit question, I will know the answer.

Two days later, Maelle Ricker got herself a gold as well, giving us a gold on Canadian soil in both a women's and a men's event. So we are rocking it!

Yes, there are people from Canada who we were hoping would medal and didn't, but there were also some we did not expect to bring us home anything who did (I'm looking at you, Mike Robertson - my, that's a lovely silver).

So far, my only complaint is about our announcers. Watching the men's figure skating short program on Tuesday, where Patrick Chan did well, but not his best, the announcers proceeded to explain his chances of medaling over and over again. He got an 81.12, and the top 3 got over 90. That's bad, we get it. So leave him alone! He's 19, and when he comes to the Olympics again at 23, with 4 more years of training under his belt, then he will be a force to be reckoned with.

And despite the utter unlikelihood of him getting a medal tonight, I am still really excited to see his long program, and to see if the 3 with the 90s are the ones on the podium, and to know (if they are) who will get the gold - Russian, American, or Japanese? Who do you want to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment