Monday, February 8, 2010

Caprica - Reins of a Waterfall, S01E03

I figured out what it was that I really didn't like about the opening of Caprica. It's that it reminds me rather of Warehouse 13 or Sanctuary than of BSG, Stargate, or Eureka. Which means it reminds me of shows that, while they are entertaining, lack sophistication and unity.

So, as every episode of Caprica begins, I am preparing for something of lesser quality, and though lowering my expectations might be helpful considering how far from the mark I feel that Caprica has been so far, it does not fill me with the sense that the show will get better. A hope that I cling to. I have watched the first seasons of both Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary; I may watch the second seasons at some point, but if I don't, I will not consider it any great loss. And, at the moment, I feel like it would not be such a great loss if I stopped watching Caprica.

There is just something bizarre about Willie Adama, who will later be Bill Adama, skipping school and drinking beer at 12 with his gay, hired-killer uncle, while his lawyer father (in whose footsteps Apollo apparently followed when he gave up the military) bribes judges and issues statements along the lines of "Balance is important. He lost his daughter. I lost my daughter, and my wife." Not to mention that that isn't the cheesiest line.

The writers threw us in the middle of a mess of plotlines which they themselves have not entangled. Who was Joseph Adams (Esai Morales) before he became Joseph Adama? What was his relationship with the mafia like when his daughter and wife were still alive? Would he ever have considered murder the right step? I'm not sure, because I have no idea what he was like before that bomb went off.

I also have no idea what is going on with Sister Clarice (Polly Walker). What is she after in all of this, and is she a danger to poor Lacy (Magda Apanowicz)? And what is Avatar Zoe (Alessandra Torresani)'s purpose? At least I'm interested in finding these things out, though I wish things were a little more clear.

I simply continue to feel like the show is directionless. It goes off on a variety of tangents as seem to suit it, but the method to this madness is not apparent. I have no desire to watch hours of television that will get me nowhere. Where is this going?

Again, I ask, are you hooked? And why? What makes you watch Caprica still?

No comments:

Post a Comment